Why bother to obtain a BiOS license?
Without a license you may be infringing valid patent rights. Licenses to many patents are difficult to obtain, but the BiOS license is available to any entity that agrees to its conditions.
The benefits to BiOS licensees are both economic and non-economic:
- ability to access the intelligence, creativity, goodwill, and testing facilities of a larger and wider community of researchers and innovators;
- decreased transactions costs relative to out-licensing or obtaining technology via bilateral license agreements;
- portfolio growth through synergies obtained by combining pieces of technology that may, by themselves, be too small to make a profit, or lack sufficient freedom to operate or enablement;
- high leverage of costly investments in obtaining proofs of concept, developing improvements, and obtaining regulatory and utility data
- ability to commercialise products without an additional royalty burden